A.W. and Anna Louise Salisbury established the original ranch near the confluence of the Little Snake River and Battle Creek in 1881. They bought a “relinquishment” from the son-in-law of Mountain Man Jim Baker, and established themselves in the horse business. A.W. acquired his first stock by traveling to Eagle Pass Texas, buying horses, hiring a crew and trailing them back to the Little Snake River Valley. The ranch has been home to the family for six generations.
The family is active in community and political affairs. Patriarch George Salisbury (now deceased) served his country as a tank commander in World War II, returning home to run the ranch and raise a family with his wife, community leader Laura.